Sunday, September 9, 2007

Holes in bread

Virtual Chemistry Labs (Bread)

Question:
What molecules make the holes in bread?

Hypothesis:
I predict that carbon dioxide gas bubbles make the holes in bread.

Procedure:
Step1: I added three scoops of yeast into the tube.
Step 2: I added three scoops of sugar into the tube.
Step 3: I filled up the tube with ¾ of water.
Step 4: I used a stick to stir the yeast, sugar, and water to become same color.
Step 5: I then shined the flashlight on the side of the tube.

Data:
After adding the three scoops of yeast and sugar into the tube by the spoon I poured in ¾ of water then stirred it till the color came out the same. After shining the flashlight I noticed tiny bubble streaming up.

Results:
My hypothesis was proven to be true. Carbon dioxide gas bubbles are the cause of holes in bead.

Explanation:
Carbon dioxide gas bubbles are trapped in the bread dough and leaves holes in the bread when in it baked.



Holes in Bread.
What gas causes the bubbles?

*Carbon dioxide gas is what causes the bubbles.

How was the gas produced?
*By the Yeast that feeds on the sugar molecules and that breaks the sugar molecules apart into new molecules.

How does CO2 get in the ocean?
*When there is very little sink. Sink is what mops up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Therefore without sink carbon dioxide will continue to get into the ocean.

No comments: