Sunday, September 9, 2007

Holes in bread

Virtual Chemistry Labs (Bread)

What molecules make the holes in bread?

I predict that carbon dioxide gas bubbles make the holes in bread.

Step1: I added three scoops of yeast into the tube.
Step 2: I added three scoops of sugar into the tube.
Step 3: I filled up the tube with ¾ of water.
Step 4: I used a stick to stir the yeast, sugar, and water to become same color.
Step 5: I then shined the flashlight on the side of the tube.

After adding the three scoops of yeast and sugar into the tube by the spoon I poured in ¾ of water then stirred it till the color came out the same. After shining the flashlight I noticed tiny bubble streaming up.

My hypothesis was proven to be true. Carbon dioxide gas bubbles are the cause of holes in bead.

Carbon dioxide gas bubbles are trapped in the bread dough and leaves holes in the bread when in it baked.

Holes in Bread.
What gas causes the bubbles?

*Carbon dioxide gas is what causes the bubbles.

How was the gas produced?
*By the Yeast that feeds on the sugar molecules and that breaks the sugar molecules apart into new molecules.

How does CO2 get in the ocean?
*When there is very little sink. Sink is what mops up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Therefore without sink carbon dioxide will continue to get into the ocean.

No comments: